In this course you will learn the 5 design principles for safe and successful bicycle infrastructure. No matter where you are located in the world, wether you are beginning or experienced or wether you are applying CROW, NACTO or other design standards. THESE DESIGN PRINCIPLES APPLY TO EACH SITUATION! These are the fundament for your success.
The course consists of knowledge clips, articles, case studies and an expert guided webinar together with fellow students from across the world . Through mini-tests, practical assignments and expert reflection you will consolidate your newly acquired knowledge. After successful completion of the course you will obtain your personal certificate. Evidence that you have mastered a key stepping stone in bicycle infrastructure planning and design.
A YouTube video can’t be displayed because the use of tracking cookies is not permitted.
Now is the time!
During the worldwide COVID-19 pandamic, cities struggle with ways to make their streets more attractive for bicycles and pedestrians. Space that was available for just cars now needs to be reallocated to provide pedestrians and cyclists with sufficient space to keep a safe distance. COVID-19 has provided a huge window of opportunity for cycling. And if bicycle infrastructure is planned taking the design principles into account, cities and citizens will benefit. Now on the short-term, during the pandamic, as well as on the longer term, once we have recovered. In this course, you learn about basic design principles that have been applied in the Netherlands for decades, leading to a very high use of bicycles in daily trips.
In only 5 weeks the course will lead you to insights in 5 key success factors in safe and successful bicycle infrastructure planning and design. Having these insights offer benefits for your endeavors to promote, plan and design for cycling:
- Increased credibility – certification after successful completion of the course
- Better plans, designs, policies, strategies, campaigns
- Overcoming barriers and creating acceptance for your plans/proposals/measures
- More, better and safer bicycle infrastructure delivered faster
Course objectives and programme outline
After completion of this course you will be able:
- To understand the 5 design principles and their relevance
- To understand how the principles have been applied in real-life examples
- To apply the principles in a reflection on your own practical bicycle infrastructure case.
- Week 1: cohesion “cycling from anywhere to everywhere”
- Week 2: directness “creating short and fast routes”
- Week 3: safety “safe infrastructure – personal health”
- Week 4: comfort “taking the human being as starting point”
- Week 5: attractiveness “making personal taste plannable”, final test and webinar
Teije is the lead trainer for this training course. He will guide you throughout the programme and towards a succesfull completion of your final case study which is part of the programme. In his professional career so far, Teije has developed multiple trainings, e-, and summer courses and multiple knowledge transfer events. Teije’s ambition is to provide you with hands-on insights and skills which you can apply to your own situation the following day. Regardless of your position, role, organisation and geographical location.
When and where
This course is offered as an online course. The next edition starts August 31st 2020. Each week a new lesson becomes available. During the week the lesson can be started, paused, continued, and finished as needed. You can follow the e-course any time, any place, when it suits you. Each lesson takes approximately 45-90 minutes. The concluding webinar will be offered at two instances spread across the day. So, regardless in which time zone you are located, we have a suitable timeslot.
How it works
We use Talent LMS to offer this e-course. You need a (free) account to be able to access the content. When you enrol, you’ll be asked to register for an account first. After setting up your account, you can continue enrolling and start the e-course directly.
The e-course is suitable for designers, policy makers, mobility professionals and others interested involved in
- Bicycle infrastructure design
- Cycling network design
- Cycling policy development
- Urban planning
- Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP)
- Place making, urban revitalization
- Safety for vulnerable road users
And advocates advocating the above.
The price for this course is € 90,-
What is included:
- Unlimited access to the course
- An expert guided webinar providing you with in-person explanation, reflection, guidance and Q&A.
- Certificate of Participation
And lot of inspiration!